BTX Halted on 6.1 but not 5.4

Chris snagit at cbpratt.prohosting.com
Sat Oct 21 02:24:08 UTC 2006

I was trying to build a test machine so I could run something on 6.2
PR and keep abreast of the changes without updating a server I've
pushed a little further than I should have ;-). I had an old Compaq
Presario Athlon 900 that wasn't doing anything so I attempted to
install using the 6.1 ISO. I found I could not get past a BTX Halted
error even after disabling everything in BIOS that can be disabled,
disabling ACPI and removing all the cards but the video. The board is
quite proprietary and has no configuration options whatsoever.

Researching this, I found several possibilities but none applied and
I concluded there wasn't much that could be done to work around the
problem. Then when I was about to give up, I noticed I still had an
old 5.4 ISO in my stacks of disks. I popped it in and it sailed through.

My question is, is there a good probability that if I install 5.4 and
cvsup to RELENG_6 that it will work. I didn't see anything that
actually gave a clear definition of the BTX Halted error and am
wondering if I put in 5 or 6 hours on this box, does the BTX Halted
error provide any indication that it may have an issue anyway beyond
just sysinstall? The cost of a mobo and CPU for a test system will
end up a pretty cheap alternative if the hours start adding up.

Thanks,
Chris