Tunnels to Cisco through NAT?

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Fri Oct 20 18:24:12 UTC 2006

> On Oct 20, 2006, at 10:42 AM, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> > 	Is anyone aware of a tunnel between FreeBSD and Cisco that
> > can go through a NAT on the Cisco side?
>
> If you update the Cisco firmware with the latest IOS+VPN version, you
> ought to gain proper NAT-T support which will work with most IPSEC/
> VPN implementations.  Otherwise, if you only need to implement a
> single VPN tunnel, you can use something like OpenVPN, which only
> needs you to forward a single UDP port (1194)...

Hi,

	Thanks for the reply. I guess my question wasn't phrased
exact enough...

	The long of it is that I have a low end Cisco router
sitting at a location behind a consumer grade broadband router,
connected to a satellite connection. The satellite does not
allow direct TCP inbound connections, so anything I use has
to be OpenVPN. I have a Soekris box with FreeBSD 5.5 running
OpenVPN via UDP to a server in the datacenter, and it works
fine and good. The issue is I want to set up another tunnel
(The cisco is actually a 2509, 8 port serial. This new tunnel
is for when the Soekris is down to be able to administer
it via the serial port).

	So I'm looking for an application where if you
want to think in reverse... The FreeBSD box needs to be able
to get to the Cisco through a NAT (And only via UDP).

		Thanks, Tuc