Recommended Hardware

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Thu Oct 19 22:44:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 10:44:10PM +0100, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

> Those have worked for me so far, and yes, it is labour intensive.

If it was easy to do right then there wouldn't be any good reason for
your boss not to hire the kid behind the counter at MacWhopperDoodle
with a $0.50/hr raise to give your job to him.

I agree with others. Ask what you want the hardware to do. Make
selections then research as to whether your selections work well with
FreeBSD. Don't fill a computer room on guesswork and reading, buy
samples and test.

Of particualar areas to pay attention:

Video controllers. Look for X.org support.

Disk controllers. Hardware RAID and the latest SATA chipsets may be an
issue.

Network interfaces. Most seem to work.

Motherboard & CPU. FreeBSD seems to run on most any x86 but if you
expect on board power management and health status you'll have to do
some research.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net