System monitoring

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Thu Oct 19 12:39:24 UTC 2006

J. Armando Velazco Velazco wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, riccardo_diago wrote:
>
>> hi all,
>> I'm newbie w/ freebsd.
>> i'm trying to install freebsd 6.1 to create a server only to monitoring
>> the others.
>> Anybody has experience with cacti and nagios?
>
>     Hi! :) Nagios+MRTG for monitoring mi little network!(FreeBSD 5.4)
> and it work very well; list of devices to monitoring:
>
> 3 Routers
> 2 Windows 2000 servers
> 1 Windows 2003 AS
> 1 Linux SuSE Server
> 2 RHEL AS Server
> 1 Trixbox Server
> 24 Windows XP
>
> And i have not experienced problems at least.
>
>     Good Day.
>
>     PS. Sorry, my english is very, very poor.

Don't apologize for knowing two languages, your english is fine ;^)

We use both Nagios and Cacti because they really do two different
things. We use Nagios to monitor availability as it can do active checks
of services, such as checking if http is up. It can also accept passive
checks from other systems such as MySQL when MySQL is not listening on
TCP. The remote machine checks locally for services, or disk space, etc
and reports back to the Nagios machine. Nagios is very configurable as
to how and when it alerts you to a potential problem. Nagios though will
not record such things as interface statistics with historical data.

We use Cacti to monitor status as it retains history which can be
'drilled down' into, it may even do alerts but we have not investigated
that yet. We use Cacti to maintain historical data on interface
availablity, bandwidth useage, and soon queue sizes, and web directory
sizes.

Both are very configurable, and I think, make a good team for overall
network monitoring and recording. We currenly monitor 12 servers for
http, https, up status, https cert, ssh, smtp, pop, smtp-auth, ftp,
radius, dns, and custom tests such as OSCommerce. We monitor 20+ routers
and other equipment for useage.

Read the docs for each and experiment, there is a lot they can do.

DAve

Veterans?