smbfs & rsync

Antony Mawer fbsd-questions at mawer.org
Wed Oct 18 22:18:24 UTC 2006

On 19/10/2006 4:35 AM, Vahan Yerkanian wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On one of my machines running 6.1-RELEASE rsync over a smbfs share is
> failing with the following error:
>
> building file list ... rsync: readdir("/ipa1/tmimage/2001"): Bad file
> descriptor (9)
> done
> IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
>
> sent 246047 bytes  received 20 bytes  492134.00 bytes/sec
> total size is 3876995600  speedup is 15755.85
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
> main.c(892) [sender=2.6.8]
>
> where /ipa1 is a smbfs share.
>
> I've googled and found this [1] particular article that pinpoints a
> simple coding mistake, anyone knows if this is going to be fixed in
> 6.2-RELEASE? /usr/sbin/mount_smbfs is the binary affected,
>
> [1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/78953

You're on the right track with the PR, and Jim Carroll did the hard work
of coming up with a patch for the issue. Unfortunately I haven't had the
chance to test the patch, but will try and make time to...

I'd imagine this is probably too late to get into 6.2 (any dev's care to
comment?), but if we're able to test + verify it works then I don't see
why it shouldn't make 6.3.

SMBFS could still use a bit of polish in areas... there are also UCS2
patches outstanding that would make talking to MacOSX servers much more
pleasant:

     http://people.freebsd.org/~imura/kiconv/

Cheers
Antony