Problems with USB Palm sync

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold at buddydog.org
Wed Oct 18 03:23:41 UTC 2006

Anish Mistry wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 October 2006 16:29, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>> Has anyone had any luck using pilot-link to sync JPilot to a Palm
>> device via the USB? I'm trying to sync my Handspring Visor and it
>> just doesn't seem to be noticing it. I have the following in my
>> /dev/usbd.conf file:
> First you shouldn't be using usbd.conf.  You should be using devd.conf
> and devfs.rules.
>
> Disable usbd.
>
> Add to devd.conf:
> attach 0 {
>         device-name "ugen[0-9]+";
>         match "vendor" "0x082d";
>         match "product" "0x0100";
>         match "release" "0x0100";
>         action "/usr/local/sbin/pilot-sync-ugen.sh $device-name";
> };
>
> Setup devfs.rules if you have yet to do it:
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/devfs.rules.php
>
> Add your user to the operator group or change the mode to 0666 below.
> Add to devfs.rules:
> add path 'ugen*' group operator
> add path 'ugen*' mode 0660
>
> In /usr/local/sbin/pilot-sync-ugen.sh:
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> JPILOT=/usr/X11R6/bin/jpilot-sync
> JPILOT_USER=your_username_here
> export JPILOT_HOME=/home/$JPILOT_USER
> PILOTPORT=usb:/dev/$1
> COMMAND=`echo $JPILOT -p $PILOTPORT -b`
> # run command ie. (sync)
> /usr/bin/su $JPILOT_USER -c "$COMMAND"

Thanks, this seems to work a little better.  Now, when I hit the Hot Sync
button on the cradle, I get the feedback that there's a connection and it says
"Identifying user" on the Visor, but it just hangs there and eventually gives
up. If I comment out the action and try it from the commandline, pilot-xfer says
" Listening for incoming connection on usb:/dev/ugen0... ". It seems to me that
both are waiting for the other to initiate something. ugen0 doesn't get created
until I hit the HotSync button, but the pilot-link stuff seems to be waiting
for that to happen again?

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.