ntpd not adjusting the clock?

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Oct 17 22:50:57 UTC 2006

On Tuesday October 17, 2006 at 06:13:24 (PM) Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> Sorry to bother again but I run ntpd on FBSD 6.1 and the clock differes by
> about 30 seconds when I compare the time with top and this link
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=262
>
> My ntp.conf file looks like that:
>
> server 2.pl.pool.ntp.org prefer
> server 1.europe.pool.ntp.org
> server 0.europe.pool.ntp.org
> restrict default ignore
> driftfile /var/db/ntp.drift
>
> The rc.conf file has these lines:
> ntpd_enable="YES"
> ntpd_flags="-g -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -f /var/db/ntp.drift"
>
> What am I doing wrong that instead of having the time synced I see more
> and more discrepancy. When I rebooted and started the service 6 days ago
> there was about 20 seconds difference. Now it is well over 30.

I am using the following configuration and the time is kept accurately.
The drift file defaults to '/var/db/ntpd.drift' I believe. In any case,
it is presently situated there without any assistance from me.

#ntp.conf file
#
server us.pool.ntp.org
server clock.nyc.he.net
server sundial.columbia.edu

#rc.conf
#
ntpd_enable="YES"

--
Gerard

"It is not the OS's job to stop you from shooting your foot. If you so
choose to do so, then it is OS's job to deliver Mr. Bullet to Mr Foot in
the most efficient way it knows."