Problems with USB Palm sync

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold at buddydog.org
Tue Oct 17 22:05:18 UTC 2006

(hope this isn't a double post:-(

Damian Wiest wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 04:29:49PM -0400, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>> Has anyone had any luck using pilot-link to sync JPilot to a Palm
>> device via the USB? I'm trying to sync my Handspring Visor and it just
>> doesn't seem to be noticing it. I have the following in my
>> /dev/usbd.conf file:
>>
>> device "Handspring Visor"
>>         devname "ugen[0-9]+"
>>         vendor  0x082d
>>         product 0x0100
>>         release 0x0100
>> 	attach "chmod 0666 /dev/ugen*"
>>
>> as per the code that was in there for the coldsync.  When I press the
>> sync button on the cradle, these devices show up:
>>
>> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0, 181 Oct 17 13:45 /dev/ugen0
>> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0, 182 Oct 17 13:45 /dev/ugen0.1
>> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0, 183 Oct 17 13:45 /dev/ugen0.2
>>
>> And the following shows up in my dmesg:
>>
>> ugen0: Handspring Inc Handspring Visor, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 5
>> ugen0: at uhub6 port 4 (addr 5) disconnected
>> All threads purged from ugen0.2
>> All threads purged from ugen0.1
>> All threads purged from ugen0
>> ugen0: detached
>>
>> But the pilot-link command fails immediately:
>>
>> $ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ugen0 -l
>>    Unable to bind to port: /dev/ugen0
>>    Please use --help for more information
>>
>> Any ideas? I've googled all over the place, but I only see similiar
>> questions. And the FreeBSD.README on the pilot-link web site seems to
>> be misleading at best.
>
> I've had success syncing my Palm OS based phone (SPH-i500 FWIW) to my
> laptop using jpilot with a USB connection.

Glad to hear someone has had success. What FreeBSD are you using? I'm
using 6.1 (via PC-BSD 1.2).

> Do you have permissions to access /dev/ugen0?

Yes:

 >> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0, 181 Oct 17 13:45 /dev/ugen0

But only because I added the 'attach chmod' command to usbd.conf:

 >> 	attach "chmod 0666 /dev/ugen*"

Before, it was read-only.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.