Problems with USB Palm sync

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold at buddydog.org
Tue Oct 17 20:31:03 UTC 2006

Has anyone had any luck using pilot-link to sync JPilot to a Palm
device via the USB? I'm trying to sync my Handspring Visor and it just
doesn't seem to be noticing it. I have the following in my
/dev/usbd.conf file:

device "Handspring Visor"
         devname "ugen[0-9]+"
         vendor  0x082d
         product 0x0100
         release 0x0100
	attach "chmod 0666 /dev/ugen*"

as per the code that was in there for the coldsync.  When I press the
sync button on the cradle, these devices show up:

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0, 181 Oct 17 13:45 /dev/ugen0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0, 182 Oct 17 13:45 /dev/ugen0.1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0, 183 Oct 17 13:45 /dev/ugen0.2

And the following shows up in my dmesg:

ugen0: Handspring Inc Handspring Visor, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 5
ugen0: at uhub6 port 4 (addr 5) disconnected
All threads purged from ugen0.2
All threads purged from ugen0.1
All threads purged from ugen0
ugen0: detached

But the pilot-link command fails immediately:

$ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ugen0 -l
    Unable to bind to port: /dev/ugen0
    Please use --help for more information

Any ideas? I've googled all over the place, but I only see similiar
questions. And the FreeBSD.README on the pilot-link web site seems to
be misleading at best.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.