What's so compelling about FreeBSD?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Oct 17 06:58:16 PDT 2006

On 2006-10-16 10:45, Simon Gao <gao at schrodinger.com> wrote:
> I have a few FreeBSD machine from 4.x to 5.x. I have asked people how to
> upgrade them to latest version 6.x cleanly.
>
> All I was told is that I need to wipe them out and reinstall. However,
> this is not the case with Gentoo Linux. With Gentoo, version release does
> not matter that much, you can always keep your system up to date if you
> like.

'Clean' upgrades can be done with FreeBSD too.  I have installed machines
with 4.7-RELEASE and then upgraded them to 5.X, 6.X and finally 7.0-CURRENT
a few times.  It's not easier (or faster) than a straight installation of a
7.0-CURRENT snapshot from `ftp.FreeBSD.org', but it's certainly possible.

> Linux supports more devices than FreeBSD, especially new devices.

This is probably true.