Installing and upgrading ports

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold at buddydog.org
Tue Oct 17 12:48:38 UTC 2006

I'm confused - what is sort of the consensus pick for "best" port
tool?  Usually, I just cd /usr/ports/xxxx/yyyy and do a 'make install clean',
but I've also tried portmanager and portupgrade, but I'm not sure when to
prefer one to another. Should I stick with one? Will mixing & matching
confuse things?  portupgrade seems to take a lot longer than portmanager.
And where does the pkgdb command fit in?

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.