What's so compelling about FreeBSD?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Oct 16 14:10:31 PDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 10:45:55AM -0700, Simon Gao wrote:

> I have a few FreeBSD machine from 4.x to 5.x. I have asked people how to
> upgrade them to latest version 6.x cleanly. All I was told is that I
> need to wipe them out and reinstall. However, this is not the case with
> Gentoo Linux. With Gentoo, version release does not matter that much,
> you can always keep your system up to date if you like. Of cause, you
> can also choose staying at a certain version.

You don't have to do a fresh install.  Just follow the upgrade
instructions in the handbook and it will probably work.   But
a clean install might be good.   I think there may be some file
system changes that you won't get without a clean install because
the file systems would be already built so the new version would
use the existing form, but I don't remember if that is between 4.x and 5.x
or between 5.x and 6.x.

Anyway, the original question wasn't why you don't like FreeBSD,
it was why people do like FreeBSD.

////jerry