Deinstalling X-windows

Chris eagletree at hughes.net
Mon Oct 16 06:06:13 PDT 2006

I could swear this was asked but I don't recall the answer and I've
googled bsd till blue.
Since starting portupgrade, I've noticed the majority of time is
spent bringing various X
ports up to date. I was thinking of make deinstall all of X as we use
only command line.
To explain, we have always installed FreeBSD, pulled in a couple of
ports then obtained
the major service components we used from their actual provider (e.g.
grabbed apache
from apache.org). I'm shifting all our machines to use ports and keep
them updated but
X is somewhat in the way. (BTW, I'm not putting down X, would love to
use it, it's just
unlikely to do gui admin work via satellite which is how I have to
reach our servers).

Below is the list of components I didn't install which I'm guessing I
don't need on a
server (or at least have never had on a server prior to upgrading our
machines to 6.x).
The old installation always asked if I wanted X and I'd skip it.

Can I deep six them, or, because they are now in the base, should I
keep them for the
integrity of the installation? I apologize that I can't test this
myself, I don't have a non-
production machine to play with just now.

xorg-clients-6.9.0_3 X client programs and related files from X.Org
xorg-documents-6.9.0 Documentation of X11 protocol and libraries from
X.Org
xorg-fonts-100dpi-6.9.0_1 X.Org 100dpi bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-75dpi-6.9.0_1 X.Org 75dpi bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-cyrillic-6.9.0_1 X.Org Cyrillic bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-encodings-6.9.0_1 X.Org font encoding files
xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-6.9.0_1 X.Org miscellaneous bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-truetype-6.9.0 X.Org TrueType fonts
xorg-fonts-type1-6.9.0 X.Org Type1 fonts
xorg-fontserver-6.9.0_1 X font server from X.Org
xorg-libraries-6.9.0 X11 libraries and headers from X.Org
xorg-manpages-6.9.0 X.Org library manual pages
xorg-nestserver-6.9.0_1 Nesting X server from X.Org
xorg-printserver-6.9.0_2 X Print server from X.Org
xorg-vfbserver-6.9.0_2 X virtual framebuffer server from X.Org
xterm-220           Terminal emulator for the X Window System