USB Mass Storage stopped working, help requested

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sun Oct 15 03:15:18 PDT 2006

Jim Stapleton wrote:

> It used to work on this machine, the kernel/world has not been
> recompiled/reinstalled since then. However, A USB drive that used to
> work (and still works in windows) no longer works in FreeBSD. When I
> plug in the drive, the /dev/da* devices do not show up. The system is
> running 6.1.

When you plug in the USB drive, lines should be appended to the dmesg of
the kernel identifying the device - or any errors. Please post that.

> The handbook says I need these:
> device scbus
> device da
> device pass
> device uhci
> device ohci
> device usb
> device umass

You may need ehci if this is USB 2.0, but I think it would otherwise
fall back on either ohci or uhci.

> Scanning dmesg for usb, I get:
> sjss at aragorn 17:32:22 (0) /usr/src > dmesg | grep usb
> usb0: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> usb1: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci1
> usb1: USB revision 1.0
> usb2: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci2
> usb2: USB revision 1.0
> usb3: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci3
> usb3: USB revision 1.0
> usb4: EHCI version 1.0
> usb4: companion controllers, 2 ports each: usb0 usb1 usb2 usb3
> usb4: <Intel 82801GB/R (ICH7) USB 2.0 controller> on ehci0
> usb4: USB revision 2.0

See comment above on dmesg. You don't get all the relevant info by
grepping for usb.

> The results from usbdevs:
> sjss at aragorn 17:34:11 (0) /usr/src > sudo usbdevs
> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
>  addr 2: USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, Logitech
> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> addr 1: EHCI root hub, Intel
>  addr 2: iAUDIO X5, Cowon Systems, Inc.

Is that with the device plugged in? If so, seems logical that there is
no device in /dev because it is not found.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt