Logitech optical mouse w/ scroll wheel

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 14:33:31 PDT 2006

Hello,

I thought I'd document my experiences with my Logitech optical USB
mouse under FreeBSD 6.1 release 1 so that maybe it will help the next
person hunting with Google. :-)

First off, the moused configuration in sysinstall gave me a headache.
Whenever I tried to test a configuration, the cursor would flicker
onscreen then disappear before I could move the mouse. In frustration,
I selected the option that I thought should work, selected "Yes, the
mouse moves", then shut the computer off.

When I booted FreeBSD the next day, the mouse worked, and I was off on
my way to configuring Xorg.

Next issue: Once I had X up, the mousewheel didn't work. KDE
recognized all three buttons (the mousewheel being the middle button),
but didn't recognize wheel scroll events.

I dredged deep through Google's search results, and found this: