Using external USB2.0 HDD for backup

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Wed Oct 11 12:56:22 PDT 2006

Hello!

Does anyone have good experience using external USB 2.0 HDD for backup
with FreeBSD 6?

My current server is FreeBSD 4.11 and I've been using Amanda with
external HDDs that connect over FireWire for past ~3 years. This setup
has been rock solid. Back when I was building it, I chose FireWire,
because FreeBSD 4 only supports USB 1.1 hence the performance was not
suitable for backing up large amounts of data (dozens of GB every night).

Now that I'm planning to build a new server with FreeBSD 6 I was hoping
that maybe I can use USB2.0 instead of FireWire. However, the first
quick test on my home box was not very encouraging. My PC basically hung
while tarring up /usr partition to the external USB HDD and I had to
kill the power. Afterwards, the UFS2 partition on external HDD needed
manual fsck. 'man ehci' says that the driver is not finished and is
quite buggy. Maybe this is true and I should stick with FireWire. Or
maybe it's just because I'm using el-cheapo USB hardware for testing?

--
Toomas