custom kernel, make buildkernel and then?

Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD PETER.HARRISON at DWP.GSI.GOV.UK
Wed Oct 11 08:28:22 PDT 2006

>Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:50:57 +0200 (CEST)
>From: Zbigniew Szalbot <zbyszek at szalbot.homedns.org>
>Subject: Re: custom kernel, make buildkernel and then?
>To: Erik Norgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org>
>Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
>Hello,
>
>On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>
>> The target directory for the build is /usr/obj, so in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys
>> you can see what kernels have been built.
>
>And it seems none have? For I get this when I do ls I can see only boot
>directory and no kernels. Is it possible that the buildprocess failed
>though it did not explicitly tell me about it? From what I recall one of
>the last lines pritned by buildkernel was
>chmod 444 freebsd.submit.cf
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the message I usually see at the end of building world (ie. following the command "make buildworld").

Are you sure you typed "make buildkernel"? Otherwise, that would explain why you don't see  the kernel you built.

[snip]

>--
>Zbigniew Szalbot

Apologies if this email is poorly formatted, I'm on MS Outlook in work (rather than Mutt at home).

Peter Harrison

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Department
for Work and Pensions.
If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us
and then permanently delete what you have received.
Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance
with our policy on the use of electronic communications.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by Government Secure Intranet (GSi)  virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.
On leaving the GSI this email was certified virus free.
The MessageLabs Anti Virus Service is the first managed service to achieve the CSIA Claims Tested Mark (CCTM Certificate Number 2006/04/0007), the UK Government quality mark initiative for information security products and services.  For more information about this please visit www.cctmark.gov.uk