Strange X problem

backyard backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 17:23:46 PDT 2006

--- Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu> wrote:

> --On Friday, October 06, 2006 15:10:21 -0400 "Bob
> M."
> <bob.middaugh at comcast.net> wrote:
> >> >
> >> Therein lies the problem.  There *is* an entry in
> /etc/ttys:
> >> ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm
> on secure
> >>
> >> Guess I'll just start double-checking everything.
>  Maybe there's a typo
> >> somewhere.
> >
> > Is your path to kdm correct?  I've never used KDE,
> so I don't know for
> > sure, but that entry in /etc/ttys is all you
> should need.
> >
> find / -name kdm
> /usr/local/bin/kdm
>
> Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
> Adjunct Information Security Officer
> The University of Texas at Dallas
> http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/

"For FreeBSD, edit /etc/ttys and find the line like
this:

ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off
secure

      and edit it to this:

ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm"  xterm   on secure

    *

      Most other distributions are a variation of one
of these.

At this stage, you can test kdm again by bringing your
system to the runlevel that should now run kdm. To do
so, issue a command like this:"

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/kdm/configuring-your-system-for-kdm.html

-nodaemon is the problem. that is for running kdm from
the command line.

-brian