A Question of How to Handle Numerical Notation Solved

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Oct 6 12:12:24 PDT 2006

	Those of you who recognised the example string I sent as
a UUID really helped solve this problem.  What happened was that
the algorithm I wrote to parse the CSV values in each record is
broken when it encounters a blank field as in ,, so it fails to
increase the index counter and place a null string at that point.
This meant that what I was reading as field W was actually more
like field Z.  I was actually looking at a field labeled "pkid"
or Packet ID which is the UUID you saw.  The algorithm I wrote to
parse worked perfectly on the first line of the file because
every field was populated but it silently failed on lines of real
data because of blank fields.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer