Printing Problem

Karl Agee kdagee2 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 11:57:55 PDT 2006

uname -a
FreeBSD enterprise.myhome.westell.com 6.2-PRERELEASE
FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #4: Mon Oct  2 08:40:06 PDT
2006
root at enterprise.myhome.westell.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC.20060916
 i386

I cannot print from some applications, namely xpdf and
evince.  I am trying to print pdf's from these as
printing in adobe reader 7 is disabled.  I have cups
installed and running and I can
print from firefox and openoffice.org.

In both xpdf and evince, the print dialog gives me a
prompt for a printing command, not a printer to
choose.  This is a brother laser which is supported.

This is a usb printer, lpstat shows:

lpstat -p -d
printer Brother_Laser is idle.  enabled since Jan 01
00:00
system default destination: Brother_Laser

/var/log/messages shows:

Oct  6 08:45:56 enterprise lpd[11501]: /dev/lp: No
such file or directory

anything I can do to get printing in these apps to
work?