PAE tuning

Paul Lathrop plathrop at squaretrade.com
Fri Oct 6 10:08:23 PDT 2006

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Oh, yes, one more thought-- your specific application, i.e. a large
> database, is one where running in 64-bit mode is highly likely to
> result in improved performance compared with running the OS in 32-bit
> mode.  If you've got a AMD64 or EM64T capable CPU, consider installing
> the 64-bit version of FreeBSD instead of the normal 32-bit x86 version.
>
> ---Chuck
Chuck,

I've heard this idea a few times in answer to my question. Is there a 64
bit Intel distro I'm missing? I saw someone suggesting I use the AMD64
version, but when I attempt to boot that from the install disk I get
some debugging output and a message saying "BTX halted" - I suspect that
means I can't follow that suggestion...

Thanks again for all your help!

--Paul