tool for checking website

Murray Taylor MTaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Thu Oct 5 17:14:42 PDT 2006

Hi Martin,

I use the attached ruby script ( based on one i googled, and probably
not the best ruby
as it was my intro to the language...)
and a crontab line like this

0 */3 * * * $HOME/bin/webcheck.rb -v -m webmaster at example.com
http://www.example.com

command line is

-v			send emails for an OK test also, otherwise only
send on website failure
-m email_addr	who to send the notification email to (has a default in
the code, typ used for testing)
URL			the URL of the site / page being tested.

This was written to monitor a friends business page when he was having
'issues'
with the windows noddies who bought the isp... they deleted the DNS
configs in the first week
and sites 'just vanished' as the caches dried up .... and in the second
week
'Whats a shell server' and it shutdown .... (the saga continued)

Murray Taylor

Special Projects Engineer
Bytecraft Systems

takes a
touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
direction."
--Albert Einstein

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.

### This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses by Bytecraft ###