Member of group wheel, but still can't shutdown system?

backyard backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 11:02:19 PDT 2006

--- Jerry Bell <jbell at stelesys.com> wrote:

> You need to be in the wheel group to be able to SU
> to root, but that won't
> give you permission to run shutdown.  Only root can
> do that, I believe.

or members of group operator. having to be root or
su/sudoing is only an affliction of linux. only root
can run reboot however, but the is generally frounded
upon; running shutdown -r ensures a clean reboot. as a
security side note the members of operator also get
raw access to drives and tapes so they can run dumps
of the system...

-brian