tool for checking website

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Thu Oct 5 07:45:49 PDT 2006

Typically I do:
#!/bin/sh

WGET=/usr/local/bin/wget
DIFF=/usr/bin/diff
MAIL=/usr/bin/mail
CAT=/bin/cat
RM=/bin/rm
MAILFILE=/tmp/site_report
MY_URL=http://www.mydomain.com
MY_PAGE=index.html
MY_REF_PAGE=/usr/local/www/good/index.html

cd /tmp
$WGET $MY_URL/$MY_PAGE
$DIFF $MY_PAGE $MY_REF_PAGE
if [ "$?" -eq 1 ]
    echo "Site is down" > $MAILFILE
    echo " " >> $MAILFILE
    echo "Bad page retrieved:" >> $MAILFILE
    $CAT $MY_PAGE >> $MAILFILE
    echo " " >> $MAILFILE
    $MAIL -s "Website Problem Report" me at mydomain.com < $MAILFILE
fi

This will verify the page is being served, and the content is correct.

         -Derek

At 06:40 AM 10/5/2006, Martin Schweizer wrote:
>Hello
>
>I'm looking for port which checks if a website is online or not. My goal is
>regulary starts a script which do this for me. Any ideas?
>
>--
>
>Regards
>
>Martin
><info at pc-service.ch>
>
>PC-Service M. Schweizer GmbH; Bannholzstrasse 6; CH-8608 Bubikon
>Tel. +41 55 243 30 00; Fax: +41 55 243 33 22; http://www.pc-service.ch;
>public key : http://www.pc-service.ch/pgp/public_key.asc;
>fingerprint: EC21 CA4D 5C78 BC2D 73B7  10F9 C1AE 1691 D30F D239;

believed to be clean.