Removing removable ATA hard drives

Jonathan McKeown jonathan at hst.org.za
Thu Oct 5 01:33:03 PDT 2006

I recently bought a drive caddy for an ATA hard drive. The unit is in two
parts: a cassette, into which can be fitted a standard ATA hard drive, and a
carrier permanently fitted into a standard drive bay. The carrier includes a
power keyswitch for the drive bay.

I installed it, brought the box (running 4.9) back up, and then switched on
the power to the drive. FreeBSD didn't recognise the drive even after an
atacontrol reinit of the channel.

I then dropped the box and brought it back up with the keyswitch for the drive
in the ON position. It now recognises the drive (could this be
BIOS-related?).

Is it safe to simply switch the power to the drive off using the keyswitch and
then remove the cassette with the server running but the drive bay powered
down? Do I need to do anything other than ensure that the drive is unmounted
at the time?

And having done that, if I replace the drive and then reapply power using the
keyswitch, would I need to do anything to get FreeBSD to notice the return of
the device?

I'm reluctant to experiment any more than I have done: the server the drive
bay has been fitted to is our live fileserver, with 120GB of user data on two
drives on the other ATA channel.

Jonathan