mail server rejects local and virtual clients

admin at hdk5.com admin at hdk5.com
Tue Oct 3 17:40:08 PDT 2006

Aloha,

Using help from this list and Greg Lehey's book I have built a FreeBSD
6.2 server for a mail server and Installed Postfix from ports and tested
it OK.
I can see mail on the server in the expected box by telnet.  I installed
pop3 to capture the mail on another  FreeBSD 4.11  box on another
network using  firebird just like a client would over the internet.
The passwords are in the /etc.passwd for local users.

Errors:

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.internetohana.net
resopnded: Password supplied for alp at internetohana.org  is incorrect.

on the box istelf i get:

telnet localhost  110
Connected to localhost.internetohana.org.
OK

>From the client command line on another network I get this using the servers name:

telnet mail.internetohana.org
Trying ....(etc)
OK Qpopper.

telnet mail.hawaiidakine.com 110
mail.hawaiidakine.com 110: No address associated with hostname.

This is a virtual host under /usr/local/etc/postfix/virtual

hawaiidakine.com        anything
info at hawaiidakine.com	hdkmail

The alp mail is a local usr for testing and hdkmail is the local user for hawaiidakine.com the virtual domain.

Mozilla is the email reader I set up for fetching the info at hawaiidakine.com mail stored in the hdkmail box.
I maybe have faulty postfix settings.

Anybody know of a how to to set these virtual hosts up to respond properly? I have all of them in the local host under  /var/mail

Thanks.

Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii

- Admin -- http://hawaiidakine.com -- http://hdk5.com --
-- http://internetohana.org -- http://freeBSDinfo.org --
 + Supporting open source computing - FreeBSD 6.* +