using bsdlabel

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed May 31 14:32:02 PDT 2006

> Jerry McAllister writes:
>
> >  The only thing you aren't doing in either of these cases is making
> >  that da0s1a bootable.  If you want that, you need to do:
>
> 	That's because it already is, and I do _not_ want to change that.
> 	It's a 4.5 G disk.  When I installed the system, I spent 0.5 G
> on /, 1 G for swap, another for /var ... and left the rest
> untouched.
> 	I now have a project that can use that space.

OK.  No problem.

By the way, you can't run bsdlabel on a mounted and active slice.
So, if you are booted to da0s1, then it won't work.   You will need
to do something like boot to the fixit CD or boot from another disk
(which will change your device name for that moment).

> >  If I am doing it by hand, I would prefer using direct edit as in:
> >  (NOTE, you apparently already have some usable label on the disk)
> >
> >  >> bsdlabel -e -r da0s1
> >
> >  This will bring up an edit session (vi unless you have your editor
> >                                      set to something else - I use vi)
> >  as follows.
> >
> >  > # /dev/da0s1:
> >  > 8 partitions:
> >  > #        size   offset    fstype  [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
> >  >   a:  1024000        0    4.2BSD      0     0     0
> >  >   b:  2097152        *      swap
> >  >   c:        *        0    unused      0     0       # "raw" part, don't edit
> >  >   d:  2097152        *    4.2BSD      0     0     0
> >  >   e:        *        *    4.2BSD      0     0     0
>
> 	So (using the file method) I can specify the start, use '*' for
> the size, and it will compute the correct value for "rest of the slice"?

Yes, you can do it both with file and edit method.  You only need to
specify the offset for the first slice and then * after that for offset.
Then size for every one except the last which can also be * - and it
will put everything left in to that last one.

It works just dandy for me that way.

////jerry