Recommendation for 1000BASE-SX card?

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 11:23:17 PDT 2006

 The intel cards that use the EM driver are the
best performing cards in FreeBSD that we've
tested. We've test cards made by the same company
that use the broadcom controllers and the intel
cards are substantially better (ie use less CPU
passing the same amount of traffic).

Be careful using on-board controllers. Usually
vendors, for some reason, don't wire them to the
pci-x bus. Most supermicro boards wire the em
controllers to the 32bit/33mhz bus and the tyan
and supermicro opteron boards we've tested wire
the broadcoms to a shared 1x PCI-E, both of which
will not only give you poor performance, but are
not capable of running full gigabit rates.

DT