FreeBSD notebook

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed May 31 09:16:20 PDT 2006

On 5/31/06, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.3miasto.net> wrote:
> i would like to buy notebook to use with FreeBSD. Not new one, something
> like Pentium 200-PII/500 with 64-128MB RAM will be OK, and there are lots
> of them available cheaply.
>
> Unfortunately most of them have windows-only hardware.
> Does anyone here using such machine successfully with FreeBSD.
>
> successfully means:
>
> 1) PCMCIA works
> 2) disk works with DMA.
> 3) USB works
> 4) Network works (if present)
> 5) X works.

6) ACPI should be number 1 on your list and Just assume everything
before 2001 is broken.
7) Onboard 100Mbit Ethernet is a must.
8) Working dri/drm video acceleration.
9) CD-Rom, that you can upgrade using standard slim-line parts.
10) At least PC100 RAM, 144pin SO-DIMMs.

The first thing you'll want to do with your new used PI/PII laptop is
upgrade it, because it's just too slow... I know... been there done
that. So to save time and money your minimum target should be a PIII
laptop.

A Pentium 100 is so slow that it can't even play mp3's at the command
line... Think about it...

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/