pkg_upgrade?

Joe dev at freedomcircle.net
Wed May 31 04:50:54 PDT 2006

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 08:12:25PM -0400, Joe wrote:
>> The .ko files have a Nov 3 2005 date, whereas the files in /boot
>> including the kernel directory have a May 6 2006 date.  I take it that
>> Nov 3 means 6.0-RELEASE since the announcement was done on Nov 4.  So, I
>> guess I'm back to the question of how to do a binary upgrade from 6.0 to
>> 6.1 (and particularly where is this documented).  Should I attempt
>> another sysinstall Upgrade?
>
> Show me
>
> sysctl kern.version

kern.version: FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov  3 09:36:13 UTC 2005
     root at x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

Note, btw that the manpages (at least the one for sysctl) show
6.1-RELEASE at the bottom, confirming that parts of the base were indeed
updated.

> and the output of a failed package fetch.

I'll try to send that a little later but seeing the above, shouldn't I
just retry the binary upgrade and if so, what precautions should I take?
  I'm thinking of skipping the install of X.org so that no package
conflicts turn up.

Joe