Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes....

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Tue May 30 14:26:16 PDT 2006

Hello,

I have been running along just fine till a cvsup this morning.  Last
successful cvsup was May 20th.  After cvsup today, and a "build-world" I
see something _similar_ to below when trying to boot.

---------------------------
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes defaulting to disk0:
panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x517c4 from [line folded for mail]
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:957
---------------------------

(I say similar, becuase the above text is actually copied from another
web post.  But mine is similar.  If *my* text is needed I can reproduce
the issue to obtain it.)

I did a google or two and all (2) posts I found said the machine is
broken, or will never run FreeBSD, or something else seemingly far from
true.

If I bring the machine up in Safe Mode everything is fine (I am writting
this from the machine in question).  Did I just cvsup at the wrong
instant?  Or has something else gone awry?  Nothing else has changed
other than a cvsup and build-world (meaning no hardware/BIOS changes).

Anything I can provide to help diagnose this?

--
Regards,
Eric