ndis problem

Dustin Coates demonbob at systemoverload.net
Tue May 30 14:16:20 PDT 2006

Lorin Lund wrote:
> I'm running 6.1-RELEASE i386.  Generic kernel.
> The wireless 'card' is a built-in Broadcom 802.11 b/g
> My PC is a Compaq V2607CL Turion based notebook
>
> I downloaded a driver kit from HP.  It created
>  c:\SWSetup\SP32158A\
> In that folder I found
>  bcmwl5.inf
>  bcmwl5.sys
>  bcmwl5npf.sys
> and lots of other files.
>
> The .INF file was UNICODE.  But as far as I can tell the only
> special characters were in the
> [strings]
> section for various countries.  I cut off all the other countries
> leaving just US and
> forced it to ASCII.
> ndiscvt gave no error messages.
>
> The
>  make
>  make install
> gave no error messages.
>
> I added an ndis linen to loader.conf to load the .ko
>
> dmesg shows no error messages.  But it doesn't show ndis0: being
> recognized either.
>
> When I manually try
>  kldload ndis
> it says it is already loaded.
>
> When I try
>  ifconfig -a
> there is no ndis:
> When I try
>  ifconfig ndis0:
> it says there is no interface.
>
> I don't know what else to try.
Try using ndisgen to make the wrapper. ndisgen should create a
bcwml5_sys.ko file in the directory, then you need to copy that file to
/boot/kernel/
After that in your loader.conf add bcmwl5_sys_load="YES" along with the
ndis_load="YES". I beleive that the old way of creating the ndis drivers
is either broken, or being faded out for ndisgen.

I have the same wireless cards and this is the way i did it. So it
should work.