Missing devs...

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Mon May 29 15:24:42 PDT 2006

Aren Olvalde Tyr wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sunday 28 May 2006 21:42, Anders Troback wrote:
>
>> In my usbd.conf I have:
>>
>> device "Sony Ericsson W810i"
>>    devname "umass[0-9]+"
>>    vendor  0x0fce
>>    product 0xe042
>>    attach "sleep 5 ; /sbin/mount -t msdos /dev/da1 /mnt ; /etc/rc.d/devfs
>> restart"
>>
>> As I said, this works for me but it seams to be a bit stupid that this
>> kind of workaround is needed...
>
> Yes, indeed. I was thinking about doing a similar workaround, but surely there
> must be a better way of doing this. We need a way for mount to automatically
> probe the device for filesystems first before attempting to mount the slice.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions?
>
> Just out of interest, during bootup, what command is executed to probe the
> devices? If I put a memory card in my reader before booting the system up,
> the filesystem slices on the card are detected, the device node[s] are
> created and I can mount it straight away.
>
> This is the command I want, rather than having to run a mount command that we
> know will fail just to create the nodes.
>
> Aren.

I've not been following this thread too closely, but I think I've had
the same problem in the past. I currently get around it by not leaving
my media readers plugged in (they're both external USB readers). I
insert my media card then plug in the reader and have no problems. I
*think* true > /dev/da1 will get devfs to show the slices, but I can't
find my old post that has that little bit of info in it. I always
thought the device should trigger and event when media was inserted, and
that the event should trigger devfs to show the slices....

Hope that provides insight,
Micah