troubleshooting network settings

GiL Virtucio gil at asol.com.ph
Mon May 29 00:58:29 PDT 2006

There are a myriad of factors that could have caused those services to be
inaccessible. First try to check if those services are running. Try

sockstat -4

[gihl at BoK]~> sockstat -4

USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN ADDRESS

root     httpd      504   30 tcp4   *:80                  *:*

root     sshd       474   3  tcp4   *:22                  *:*

if you don't see that :80 and :22 entry at the "LOCAL ADDRESS" column those
services might not be running.

If they are not running and you are sure that you have already installed
apache from the ports collection,  check your /etc/rc.conf file if you have
these entries:

sshd_enable="YES"

apache_enable="YES"

If they are both running this could be a problem in the configuration of
your firewall. Also check the /etc/hosts file if you have an entry for your
localhost. Maybe you're computer cannot open those services because your
computer couldn't resolve the ip address of your localhost :)

If it is still not working. hmmm. try to verify if the firewall is really
the one causing the problem. Add the following line in your /etc/rc.conf
file

firewall_enable="YES"

firewall_type="OPEN"

if it works. change the firewall type to something more secure.. customize
the /etc/rc.firewall and set the firewall_type to which ever setting you
think would fit your needs :)

hope this helps :)

Gil A. Virtucio
Janitor/Kolektor/Messenger/Driver