Error Message Upon Boot-up

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Sun May 28 15:58:52 PDT 2006

Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>

> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 03:52:02PM -0400, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
> > Using: FreeBSD 6.1
> >
> > I have suddenly started seeing an error message upon boot-up. This is a
> > snippet of the display when the error message is displayed.
> >
> > Starting mysql.
> >  dnetcStarting ddclient.
> > /etc/rc: WARNING: $compat5x_enable is not set properly - see rc.conf(5).
>
> You need:
>
> 	compat5x_enable="YES"
>
> in /etc/rc.conf

I searched around and figured that out. Now I have a few other questions.

1) How did it suddenly get in my /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory anyway?

2) If it is not specifically enabled or disabled in the rc.conf file,
why is it complaining? Other files in ./rc.d do not complain if there is
no entry in the rc.conf file. They just do not start. At least that is
what I believe happens.

3) Would this be considered a bug of some type?

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

     Anonymous