Configuring local network for Apache22

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat May 27 22:22:01 PDT 2006

Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:
> I'm running a small network behind an ADSL router and one of the machines runs
> freeBSD 6.0-SECURITY. I'd like to configure it to run apache22. Apache fails
> to start and gives this error.
>
> [Sat May 27 18:49:28 2006] [alert] (EAI 8)hostname nor servname provided, or
> not known: mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address of "bsd-box."
>
> How do I configure Web searches suggest three possibilities
>
> 1.  that this is a problem with DNS, edit  /etc/hosts
>
> I've got this line in /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.home.net  bsd-box.home.net bsd-box
>
> 2.  Apache is listening to devices that don't exist - I don't know how to
> explore that suggestion.
>
> 3.  If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address in
> httpd.conf
>
> I have this line in httpd.conf
> ServerName 127.0.0.1

    Simplest means of correcting this would be to add your static IP (if
one existed) for your server box on the network to your /etc/hosts file
and then change Servname to match bsd-box.
    The more complex (but probably better means), would be to setup a
DNS server (look up bind9 for this) and then just make sure that
Servname matches your machine's DNS assigned hostname.
-Garrett