Problems booting operating system and with root password

Adrian Pavone wingot at eftel.com
Fri May 26 14:37:30 PDT 2006

Miguel wrote:
> Atom Powers wrote:
>
>> On 5/26/06, Miguel <mmiranda at 123.com.sv> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, i have a similar problem, i forgot my root password and the server
>>> its in a remote colocation site, is there a way to recover the encrypted
>>> password and crackit some way, i have my normal account (which is in
>>> wheel group), i even know that the root's pass begings with
>>> MAG_"something", but i really cant remember the complete root's pass,
>>> rebooting in single user mode is my best bet?
>>>

>> If you are in wheel, then you should be able to "sudo su" to switch to
>> the root account and then "passwd root" to reset the password.
>>
> :-(
> No luck, this is the error
>
>> sudo su
>
> We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
> Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
>
>    #1) Respect the privacy of others.
>    #2) Think before you type.
>    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
>
> Password:
> mmiranda is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
>> sudo su
> mmiranda is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
>> passwd root
> passwd: permission denied
>>

> I entered my account's password...
>
> Anything more?

The previous person mistakenly thought that if you were in the wheel
group, you were also set up for wheel. Unforunately, root would have had
to set up the sudo configuration file so that mmiranda (your login)
could use the sudo command to run su. This was not set up, so that is
not an option in this case.

Regards,
Adrian

- --
This email address has expired. Please contact me for my new address.

Please obtain my pgp public key from pgp.mit.edu before sending me any
private mail, otherwise your email will likely be filtered incorrectly
and possibly junked.