Disk Geometry Errors.

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu May 25 20:53:48 PDT 2006

Lisandro Grullon wrote:
> The current setup I got in the machine is using 2 SATA (200GB each) with
> the raid controller that is build into the motherboard (tyan S2885). I
> wanted to add additional space and I got a Areca 1120 which could hold
> another 8 sata drives. I only have a 5 bay enclosure so I went ahead and
> I orderd 5 (300GB) drives. I configure the controller to use Raid 5 with
> 4 drives and keep 1 as spare in case of a failure. The problem that is
> bothering me is that the OS works great with the RAID 1 configuration.
> When I boot into FBSD it all goes ok and I loging and everything , but
> when I try configuring the RAID 5 disk set using sysinstall> fdisk I get
> the disk geometry error right after selecting the disk set. I am not
> sure, but is there a way to find out the disk geometry that the
> controller bios is assuming is the correct one. If there is a way to
> find that information our, I can just use the "G" option in fdisk and
> input the correct disk geometry myself. What aproach is the best one to
> take in my case. Thank you. Lisandro

What's still not apparent to me is what the real trouble is.  I
regularly see the "geometry incorrect" message from sysinstall, but
have not had it fail to write.  I'm pretty sure that's what I'm hearing
from Jerry McAllister's response, also.

I guess my question for Lisandro is, "can't you just ignore the
error, do the write, and be OK?"  Of course, I think that if that
were the case, this thread would have been over a few posts ago.
As for the "G" option, I can't say it's made any difference for me...

Have we seen any diagnostic information?  Could we see the relevant
section of /var/run/dmesg.boot?  How about `ls -l /dev/ad* /dev/ar*
/dev/da*` ?  `bsdlabel /dev/foo` ?

Kevin Kinsey

--
Reactor error - core dumped!