SUDO Help password change deligation question

Mikhail Goriachev mikhailg at webanoide.org
Thu May 25 17:58:36 PDT 2006

Sean Murphy wrote:
> I would like to not give root access but enable a user account (not in
> wheel) to change user passwords with passwd username command.  I just
> would like to delegate the password changing ability to someone else but
> not give them super user privileges other then passwd.  Would this be
> something sudo can do?  can you restrict what accounts passwords they
> can change for instance everyone but system root and my account?

Yes, sudo can limit the access of what to execute. However, I'd write my
own little script (passwd wrapper) that checks whose account is being
modified. Then you can prevent misuse.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg at webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B