Flashing BIOS/Making bootable DOS filsystem on USB stick

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Thu May 25 13:31:01 PDT 2006

You have a few options:

go to bootdisk.org and download a suitable verision.  There are many floppy
images there.  For instance the win98 diskette version, when booted creates
a ramdrive you can switch to, then change the usb disk.  Or boot with two
usb drives inserted, the bootable one and the one with the BIOS flash utility.

Or use a winpe bootable CD.  You can find one and information at:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/  You can customize the image you build
including your Windows BIOS utility.

Or buy or borrow a USB floppy drive.

         -Derek

At 02:38 PM 5/25/2006, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
>I have a problem with my laptop, and before Dell will consider taking it
>back, I have to go through their checklist and make sure I've tried
>everything on that list first. This includes upgrading the BIOS.
>

>The problem is that Dell provides the BIOS upgrade in two forms:
>
>(a) A DOS executable
>(b) A Windows self-contained utility to make a boot floppy
>
>Since I have neither Windows nor a floppy disk, I'll have to be
>creative. I thought that maybe I could install some boot code on a USB
>flash drive, newfs_msdos, and copy FreeDOS along with the executable (a)
>mentioned above.
>
>Problem is: How do I install the boot code on the drive? FreeDOS
>provides a floppy-image, so I thought I could just dd that to my USB
>drive, and boot off of that. But I need to put the BIOS upgrade utility
>on the disk as well, and it is 784 kiB. Could I grow the image?
>
>Any pointer appreciated
>

>         Svein Halvor

believed to be clean.