Portmanager Output Resolution

Jim Angstadt jimajima9 at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 09:26:40 PDT 2006

--- Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:

> Jim Angstadt wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Having run "portmanager -u" several times now, I
> am
> > very pleased to say that my times have decreased
> from
> > an initial 38 hours to about 2 hours, per run.
> >
> > Along the way, I have cleaned up "conflicts" and
> did
> > "pkg_delete" on several applications that were
> > "included in base" or that really were not needed.
> >
> > Now I'm faced with situations where I don't have a
> > clue.  Below is partial output from "portmanager
> -s".
> > I have manipulated each line to avoid line
> wrapping
> > problems, I hope.
> >
> > 00129 have:cdrtools-2.01_4
> > 	/sysutils/cdrtools
> > 	OLD available: cdrtools-2.01_5
> > 00131 have:libcdio-0.76_1
> > 	/sysutils/libcdio
> > 	OLD available: libcdio-0.77
> > 00141 have:dvd+rw-tools-6.1
> > 	/sysutils/dvd+rw-tools
> > 	built with OLD dependency: cdrtools-2.01_5
> > 00186 have:nautilus-cd-burner-2.14.1
> > 	/sysutils/nautilus-cd-burner
> > 	built with OLD dependency: cdrtools-2.01_5
> > 00250 have:sound-juicer-2.14.3
> > 	/audio/sound-juicer
> > 	OLD available: sound-juicer-2.14.3_1
> > 00255 have:gnome2-2.14.1
> > 	/x11/gnome2
> > 	built with OLD dependency: sound-juicer-2.14.3_1
> >
> > In the case of cdrtools or libcdio or
> sound-juicer,
> > I think this is telling me that I have an older
> > version installed and a newer version is
> available.
> >
> > What should I do in this situation?
> >
> > In the case of dvd+rw-tools or nautilus-cd-burner
> or
> > gnome2, apparently I have a solid-gold chance to
> mess
> > up dependencies.
> >
> > What should I do here?
> >
> > Please note that I am new to FreeBSD and have a
> very
> > limited exposure to using "make" to build
> packages.
> > Any links to dealing with portmanager output
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> I use portmanger all the time. It is simply telling
> you that you have
> ports or dependencies that need to be updated and or
> corrected. Nothing
> is going to get broken.
>
> Run: portmanager -u -f -y -l
>
> It will rebuild and update all dependencies and
> update your any out of
> date ports. There will be a log file created also --
> /var/log/portmanger.log that will be available for
> your perusal.

Thanks for helping me again.

Options -f and -y are new to me.  From reading the man
page, it sounds like all ports will be rebuilt, not
just the ones identified in a previous portmanager
run.

That means perhaps another 38 hour job.

Or, is it sufficient to run against the few
applications listed near the top of this message?

> It is imperative that you update your ports
> collections just prior to
> actually running portmanger to insure you do in fact
> get the latest
> versions.

Thanks for the reminder.  I have been using portsnap
to fetch and update daily.

Jim

> Ciao
>

> --