Greek Accents and Filenames

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu May 25 05:53:02 PDT 2006

On 2006-05-25 14:50, andreas Sotirakopoulos <menwn at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> HI
> I have a problem writing Greek accents in KDE. I am using KDE
> 3.5 on freebsd 6.1 and although i can type Greek in all
> applications i cannot put accents.  Accents are placed by
> hitting the ";" before the letter. When i do so though nothing
> happen, in fact even the letter is not appearing on the screen.
> I have tried typing export LC_CTYPE=el_GR on the console and
> rebooting but then when i type locale i get:
>
> LANG=
> LC_CTYPE="C"
> LC_COLLATE="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_ALL=

Your Greek locale setup is messed up.  I don't know why you have
all these, but if they are in your ~/.bashrc or something remove
them all and use something like this:

    # Locale setup.
    export LANG="C"
    export LC_CTYPE="el_GR.ISO8859-7"
    export LC_COLLATE="el_GR.ISO8859-7"
    unset LC_ALL LC_MESSAGES LC_MONETARY LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME

Your locale setup looks very close to what I've seen on Linux
systems, but the set of LC_xxx environment variables you have now
is _not_ going to work with FreeBSD.

> Moreover although i can read greek on konqueror and opera i
> cannot do so on Kwrite or i cannot read greek filenames on the
> desktop, eventhough ei can give greek names on files whithout
> accents ofcourse.

Random problems with accents are very often a hint that points
towards invalid/wrong locale setup.  Fix your environment
*before* you start X11, make sure that you don't override the
fixed environment in your X11 configuration with something else,
and you should be set to go :)