dd to create .iso of a cd

Jonathan Horne jhorne at dfwlp.com
Thu May 25 04:16:11 PDT 2006

> Jonathan Horne wrote:
>> i hate to ask another "back when i used linux" question, but here goes:
>>
>> "back when i used linux", i would create a .iso file of a cd like this:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/destfile.iso
>>
>> ... and it would just work.  made a perfect copy every time
>> (specifically,
>> of microsoft cds at the office, and each one was able to burn to a
>> bootable copy of what ever it was).  well, i tried to do this in
>> freebsd,
>> but no luck.  i was able to take a .iso file, but it did not make a
>> bootable disk once it was burned.  my command was the same as above, but
>> added bs=2048 at the end(as per what i read in the handbook).
>>
>> can anyone recommend how to create a .iso image in freebsd that will
>> render a bootable .iso file?  i hate to have to keep a linux box around
>> the office just for the purpose of successfully creating a .iso file  :)
>

> Hi,
>
> This is weird because it works for me. I do:
>
> $dd if=/dev/acd0 of=file.iso bs=2048
> $burncd -f /dev/acd0 data file.iso fixate
>
> My burnt copies boot boxen without problems. How do you burn your ISOs?
>
> Cheers,
> Mikhail.
>

> --
> Mikhail Goriachev
> Webanoide
>
> Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
> Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
> E-Mail: mikhailg at webanoide.org
> Web: http://www.webanoide.org
>
> PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
> PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B

generally, from windows, with nero's "burn image" option.  has always
worked 100% of the time for me in the past, so i need to figure out what
im going to do with freebsd as my replacement.

i guess i should also note, that my only burner is in my windowsXP box,
and at this time, im not in a position to move it permenantly to my
freebsd box.

cheers,
jonathan