Portmanager Output Resolution

Jim Angstadt jimajima9 at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 19:52:59 PDT 2006

Hi All,

Having run "portmanager -u" several times now, I am
very pleased to say that my times have decreased from
an initial 38 hours to about 2 hours, per run.

Along the way, I have cleaned up "conflicts" and did
"pkg_delete" on several applications that were
"included in base" or that really were not needed.

Now I'm faced with situations where I don't have a
clue.  Below is partial output from "portmanager -s".
I have manipulated each line to avoid line wrapping
problems, I hope.

00129 have:cdrtools-2.01_4
	/sysutils/cdrtools
	OLD available: cdrtools-2.01_5
00131 have:libcdio-0.76_1
	/sysutils/libcdio
	OLD available: libcdio-0.77
00141 have:dvd+rw-tools-6.1
	/sysutils/dvd+rw-tools
	built with OLD dependency: cdrtools-2.01_5
00186 have:nautilus-cd-burner-2.14.1
	/sysutils/nautilus-cd-burner
	built with OLD dependency: cdrtools-2.01_5
00250 have:sound-juicer-2.14.3
	/audio/sound-juicer
	OLD available: sound-juicer-2.14.3_1
00255 have:gnome2-2.14.1
	/x11/gnome2
	built with OLD dependency: sound-juicer-2.14.3_1

In the case of cdrtools or libcdio or sound-juicer,
I think this is telling me that I have an older
version installed and a newer version is available.

What should I do in this situation?

In the case of dvd+rw-tools or nautilus-cd-burner or
gnome2, apparently I have a solid-gold chance to mess
up dependencies.

What should I do here?

Please note that I am new to FreeBSD and have a very
limited exposure to using "make" to build packages.
Any links to dealing with portmanager output
would be appreciated.

Jim