how to change roots shell

gs_stoller at juno.com gs_stoller at juno.com
Wed May 24 16:45:48 PDT 2006

On  Fri, May 19, 2006 08:17 PM, Izwan Mohd wrote:

> Stoller wrote:
>
>>On  Fri, May 19, 2006 08:04 AM  Andy Greenwood  wrote
<snip>

>>> 	how is he supposed to complete step one? Single-user mode is
>>> going to be the best way to get this fixed, IMHO
<snip>

>>	My reading of his question leads me to believe that his problem
>> was how to effect the change, not how to login.

<snip>

> then you are not reading his question very well :p not actually right
	This is the first time that I have seen ":p", but it looks somewhat insulting to me.  If it is, I don't want to communicate with you anymore!!!

But I'll finish this for the others who may be reading it.

> his problem was he acidently change the root shell to non-existant
> prog now he can't login to root account and want to recover it.
>

>> how is he supposed to complete step one? Single-user mode is going
>> to be the best way to get this fixed, IMHO

	Have you tried Single-user mode?  Well, I have.  When one runs that way, you run as  root  but with an empty  PATH  so you have to know where each command that you want to invoke is located or you have to set up the  PATH  variable.   vipw  is in  /usr/sbin .
	This user should be more paranoid.  He should create two other
 superuser  accounts so that he has more chances of running as the
 superuser  even if one  superuser's  account is discombobulated.
I have at least 3   superuser  accounts (starting different login shells).