Firewall with 3 NIC (1 wireless) problem

fbsd fbsd at a1poweruser.com
Wed May 24 13:08:36 PDT 2006

This may be a wild shot in the dark.
Netgear WPN311 & WG311T are both CLIENT RangeMax Wireless PCI
Adapter cards.
Looks to me like you are missing hardware needed to make your wanted
wireless network to work.

On your wired LAN you cable a Nic card in your gateway box to
a hub/router/switch through which all other PC's on the LAN are
connected into.

A wireless system works much the same way. Your gateway box should
have a Nic cabled to an wireless base/router through which all other
PC's on the wireless LAN broadcast/communicate with.

You need a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router WPN824 which is a
stand-a-lone piece of equipment cabled to your gateway box. The
Netgear WPN311 card you have in the gateway box is useless. Use it
for some other PC you want on your wireless LAN.

Please take note that the built in hardware wireless wep/wpa
encryption security is a laugh. Any body with some free software off
the internet can drive down your street and pick up your wireless
base broadcast and gain access to your network and the public
internet through you if you only rely on wep/wpa encryption for
access security. There are many solutions out there. Review the
questions list archives on wireless security for many suggestion on
how to protect your wireless network.