PostgreSQL uses more memory on 6.1?

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Tue May 23 13:59:07 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 02:47:54PM -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> On May 23, 2006, at 2:37 PM, Kirk Strauser wrote:
>
> >I just upgraded from 6-STABLE as of 2006-02-18 to 6-STABLE as of
> >2006-05-21,
> >and was surprised to find that PostgreSQL wouldn't start because it
> >couldn't allocate enough shared memory.  Thing is, I didn't make a
> >single
> >hardware change during the reboot and didn't upgrade any ports on the
> >machine.
> >
> >My emergency fix was to edit postgresql.conf to change
> >shared_buffers from
> >8192 to 2048.  Unfortunately, that seems to be hurting performance
> >- I'm
> >getting annoying deadlocks at 4AM whenever multiple daemons start
> >their
> >overnight batch runs.
> >
> >Has anyone else seen this behavior when upgrading from 6.0 to 6.1?
> >Any
> >ideas for a fix?
>

> Just a guess -- did some kernel default for shared memory change or
> did you change your kernel config? Can you rebuild your kernel with
> explicit shared memory values?   Look  in the NOTES in /usr/src/sys/
> conf at the various SHM values

Yep, I was thinking along the same lines.  The PostgreSQL ports have a
pkg-message-server file that may prove helpful, too.

> not an expert

Likewise...

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key: http://www.slightlystrange.org/pgpkey-dan.asc
PGP Key fingerprint: D349 B109 0EB8 2554 4D75  B79A 8B17 F97C 1622 166A
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \