Question about DHCP client with multi-interface.

Atom Powers atom.powers at gmail.com
Tue May 23 13:54:30 PDT 2006

On 5/23/06, Yaning <yaning98 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> All,
> My system have three network cards, interface are
> fxp0, fxp1, em0. If I set one interface with static IP
> address at install time, such as:
> em0 IP = 10.20.16.59

I hope these three interfaces are not on the same physical network.

> then I enable one interface with DHCP, such as,
> running command:
>
> dhlient fxp0

In /etc/rc.conf

ifconfig_em0="10.20.16.59/24" (or whatever your netmask is)
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"

> Then I reboot system. After system boot up, fxp0
> assign an IP address by DHCP server.
> But the static ip address on em0 is gone.
> How can I correct this problem?

It shouldn't be gone, but it may be unused if both interfaces are on
the same network. (Use "ifconfig" to check the status of your
interfaces.)

> Thanks,
>
> Yaning

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--