changing kern.ngroups

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue May 23 06:20:32 PDT 2006

Vulpes Velox wrote:
> I am really running across the need to change this to something
> higher than 16.
>
> I was just wondering if there is any specific reason it is set so low
> and any thing to worry about when bumping it up?

The limit is historical, but various protocols like NFS have the # of
groups limit embedded into their specifications.  Trying to change this
limit may result in odd behavior, such as user accounts not being
recognized as being in their "primary" group, ie the one listed in
/etc/passwd....

--
-Chuck