best Java enviroment for dev with Eclipse...

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Mon May 22 22:32:15 PDT 2006

Hi all,
i want to do some java / c++ / php development using Eclipse. I currently have
the following installed:

jdk-1.4.2p8_3       Java Development Kit 1.4.2
swt-3.1.1           Standard Widget Toolkit for Java

eclipse-3.1.2       An open extensible IDE for anything and nothing in particul
eclipse-EPIC-0.3.0_2 EPIC adds Perl support to the Eclipse IDE Framework
eclipse-cdt-3.0.1   C/C++ IDE for Eclipse
eclipse-clay-core-1.2.0 A database design tool for the Eclipse development
environm eclipse-emf-2.1.1   Eclipse Modeling Framework
eclipse-examples-3.0_2 Examples for the Eclipse IDE
eclipse-gef-3.1.1   Graphical Editing Framework for the Eclipse IDE
eclipse-vep-1.1.0.1,1 A framework for creating GUI builders for Eclipse
eclipse-webtools-0.7 Webtools for eclipse
phpeclipse-1.1.4    PHP Eclipse adds PHP support to the Eclipse IDE Framework

but i'm finding many crashes when trying to use it. Should I be using
linux-java  port instead of native jdk ?

I know, the 'many crashes' isnt very descriptive - it's just very unstable,
specially when trying to build a java form by drag-n-drop (visually, instead
of by hand).

thanks for any comments on this.
cheers,
beto